University of Arizona
- M.A. Science and Environmental Journalism
- GPA: 4.0
University of Arizona, 2018
- B.S. Geology, minor in Planetary Science
- GPA: 3.632
Ukrainian Heritage School
- Graduated two years early with distinguished honors
- GPA: 4.0
UArizona Study Abroad
- Orvieto, Italy
- Cultural immersion, programming classes in Python, data manipulation and analysis, traveling.
- Managing a team of 18 agents responsible for the administration and logistics behind the KPDX cargo gateway for Amazon and other clients.
UArizona Lowell Institute for Mineral Resources
Tucson, AZ (remote)
- Content writer and editor for the CATALYST newsletter, released bimonthly via email.
Fall Editorial Intern
Aug 2019-Dec 2019
- Editorial Intern for the content department of a travel marketing agency.
- Print Editorial: verification, fact-checking, proofing, writing copy, flowing in copy via InDesign.
- Online Content: shadowing client call, outlining stories, writing keyword-optimized metadata, reviewing and editing stories, writing stories and listing descriptions for internal sites.
- Published work: Greet the Season in Independence, Wagging Tails & Water Bowls, The Wickedest History of Wholesome Jerome, Trade Boredom for Board Games, Leave No Stone Unturned.
Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
Summer Communications Leader Intern
May 2019-Aug 2019
- Communications Leader for the summer Academic Resource Center intern team.
- Intern of the Day features, editing and updating external NMNH internship project pages, drafting summary report to our primary donor and Interns and Fellows section of the Natural History board book, revising the 2019-2020 Smithsonian Opportunities for Research and Study (SORS) Guide, assisting with organization of behind-the-scenes tours, workshops, and lunch events.
UArizona School of Journalism
Master’s Thesis Project
Aug 2018-May 2020
- WordPress website “Speaking Science-ese” dedicated to interviews of science communicators, researchers, policy influencers and the public about their experiences and thoughts on the ways we communicate science.
Graduate Independent Study Projects
Aug 2018-May 2020
- Spring 2020: Research and presentation of “Art, Music, and Poetry as a Means of Conveying Information about the State of the Planet” at the Southwest Popular/American Culture Association Conference in Albuquerque, NM [program].
- Spring 2019: Teaching assistant in Environmental Journalism course providing geoscience and environmental science background and expertise to JOUR 455/555 students.
- Fall 2018: Conducting historical journalism research, formatting a paper in Chicago Style; WordPress website “On the Same Sage” a science journalism, geology and historical blog.
Freelance Science Writer
Aug 2017-May 2020
- “Mahogany on the Decline” Western National Parks Association website and Your American West newsletter.
- “Outfoxing the Red Fox; Western National Parks Association website.
- “How veterinary medicine can translate to human healthcare”; ZooView magazine.
- “Trickling Tinajas in Saguaro National Park” pending publication on Western National Parks Association “Research Matters!” website.
UArizona Geosciences Department
Geosciences Graduate Teaching Assistant
Aug 2018-May 2020
- Spring 2020: Responsible for running and grading three-hour Friday lab section for 12-15 students in GEOS 251 Physical Geology, including lab exams. Assisted with transfer to fully online format due to pandemic.
- Fall 2018, 2019: Assisted during thrice weekly lectures and with grading of assignments for 270+ students in GEOS 170, occasionally taught lecture, held weekly office hours.
Mineral Evolution Research
- Research of tectonic settings and ages of mineral localities to understand changes in minerals over geologic time. Maintaining data spreadsheets and inputting them into the database.
- Proficient in Photoshop, WordPress, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, Snapchat, Microsoft.
- Proficient in news and feature writing, website management, copyediting, verification, and event coordination. Extensive travel experience.
- Basic photography, Adobe, InDesign, Python.
- Fluent in Ukrainian language, history, and culture.
Awards and Community Involvement
- 2019-2020 Douglas D. Martin Award for Integrity and Courage in Journalism
- 2019-2020 Douglas D. Martin Scholarship
- 2019 Milburn William Memorial Scholarship
- 2018-2020 John Peter and Anna Zenger Fellowship
- 2018-2019 Excellence in Science and Environmental Journalism Award
- 2014-2018 National Merit Finalist Academic Scholarship
- 2015 Dean’s List (Spring)
- 2016, 2017 Dean’s List with Distinction (Fall)
- 2018 Highest Academic Distinction (Spring)
Kappa Tau Alpha National Honor Society (2020-present), SESS (2014-2018), UA Ballroom Dance Club (2014-2018, Fundraising Chair 2015-2016), PLAST Ukrainian Scouting Organization (2001-present).
2016-2017 100% Engagement Project: Society of Earth Science Students (SESS) partnership with Martha Cooper Library. Writing, establishing and running the first set of weekly sessions to introduce and encourage STEM topics to underserved youth and encouraging a lasting relationship between SESS and the library.
2014-2015 Zircon Age-Dating Research Honors Project: Use of Laserchron mass spectrometry laboratory equipment to study oldest minerals on Earth from Jack Hills, Australia. Presented at GeoDaze conference (April 2015). Coverage in Arizona Daily Star.